Welcome!

Hello and welcome to hook and yarn. I'm Jane, and this is my place to write about the things I knit and crochet, with a little baking and gardening thrown in sometimes too!

Friday, 10 August 2012

Colour affection

I've been eyeing up this gorgeous shawl pattern that so many people have made recently for ages, and I've finally started my own.

I'm really enjoying it - it's just garter stitch, so no complicated stitches, but it's the first time I've done stripes in knitting, and it's soooo exciting seeing the stripes grow. I know non-knitters would find that a bit sad of me, but there we go. To me, it's exciting. That's just who I am. I just want to keep doing more!

I've still not decided on the third colour though. Should I go safe:


Nice peaceful colours, will go with lots of things, lovely and restful, and one of my favourite looks.

Or should I go for a richer, warmer look:


Not so safe, but more exciting. I love them both to be honest, so I can't go wrong. And I've still got a fair few stripes to do before I have to decide. Any thoughts, anyone?

And I'm just in the middle of making Chelsea buns, at the suggestion of Sue Webb. The thing I love about yeast baking is seeing it grow! And of course the lovely smell...

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful shawl, you were right you can't go wrong with either choice.
    They are both lovely.
    Happy Friday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern! If I could knit I would be making one too, with the red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh now this is lovely,, i love the choice of colours too, a little bit of simple garter stitch is nice now and then. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a safe person, but since I am not knitting it..I say go with the red! hehe. Either way you go, this shawl is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! I sooooo wish I could knit, but hey-ho!
    I really like the red- but I am a bit of a lover of pale blue and red together- a little bit Cath Kidston maybe?
    Whatever you choose, I'm sure both will be lovely!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. How gorgeous! Love the colours Jane, that blue is lovely with the cream, and I too think the rusty red would look so good with it.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that shawl pattern Jane, I think that I would go with the more subdued colour, it will go with everything then!!!!! Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog so glad you made some buns, I'm going to have a go at bagels next.(thanks to The Great British Bake Off). And the spinning oh wow what a fab thing to do, if you get the chance to have a go do, it's like therapy!!!!! Hope you're week's going well. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops, looks like the comment I left last week didnt work!
    Hi Jane, hope all well and that you've had a good summer.
    Loving this blue shawl, and i personally love the red with it although most colours look good with this lovely shade of grey/blue shade - whatever you choose with look good!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to share the Liebster Blog Award with you, please accept with my best wishes. If you would like to visit my blog you can find all the details! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How's it going? I've looked at this pattern too and like you love the simplicity of it all x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Please leave a comment - I love reading them, and I love getting the chance to click the links to see other people's blogs too :)